Thursday 14 July 2011

On the Hunt!

I graduated York in the spring of 2010 pleased that I will be able to return to complete my Master's of Business Administration (MBA) after having achieved the required B+ average in fourth year. I am elated with my success. I spend the next year working with my mother at home. As the spring of 2011 sprung I decided to make my move into the job market.

I began doing research into companies I felt would be a good match for me. After attending the 2011 Esthetique SPA International trade show at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre in May I realized my resume was just not good enough. I needed help fast, so I went to a local not-for-profit organization called The Centre, where I met David Baldazzi. As it turned out, I was completely unprepared to approach employers.

David suggested a number of workshops such as Scott's Directory, Targeting Your Resume, Mock Interviews, and Accessing the Hidden Job Market, all offered at The Centre. In addition to the workshops, I attended several one-on-one meetings with Mr. Baldazzi to ensure I was accomplishing my career goals. The Centre offers many do-it-yourself handouts on a variety of topics which I used to complete the tasks assigned to me.

Now I have a resume that uses Accomplishment Statements which I am proud to present to a potential employer, a cold call list developed from personal research and Scott's Directory, a Job Seeker Summary that describes who I am and what kind of work I'm looking for, and an appropriate online profile that is continuously being updated. Preparation for interview questions is my current task and I expect to begin contacting my dream companies very soon, following a Mock Interview session at The Centre, of course!

I decided to follow my passion for esthetics into the field of marketing. I am an experienced esthetician, and an educated marketer. My goal is to work in a head office setting for a company in the cosmetic industry. There are many different avenues for a marketer to follow in their career, such as sales, communications, public relations, purchasing, research, or logistics. I have chosen to follow the cosmetic industry. I am fresh out of school and I enjoy many aspects of the marketing genre. The group of companies in my area vary in size and function. Soon will begin the task of determining with whom I am best suited.